While I do enjoy writing about the standard iPhone solar charger, I thought I’d change it up a little. I wanted to write a post that included some other portable iPhone chargers. With so many portable iPhone chargers out there it just wouldn’t be right if I left everything else out. OK and I lied. I included the 3 portable iPhone chargers that aren’t solar, but I also included a bonus review of a solar powered backpack… And a few more portable iPhone chargers I recommend as well in this most recent update. The portable chargers are:
1. Wrist Battery Charger
2. External Portable iPhone Charger
3. iPhone Charger Case
4. Solar powered backpack charger
5. Scroll down for more portable iPhone charger recommendations
1. Wristwatch Style Battery Charger
This little gadget caught my eye and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. I’m not a big fan of wristwatches, but I just think it’s a super practical use of space. The battery charger is mainly targeted at portable gamers because it can easily charge a PSP, Nintendo DS, etc. while you continue to play. Even if you just toss it in your pocket or strap it to your belt loop. This is one small charger with a large internal battery. It charges up from any usb. Here are some quick stats about the wristwatch style battery charger:
- 1500 mAh internal battery
- 4 LED charge indicator
- Simple on/off button
- Price: $34.99
Check it out (more pictures)
2. External Portable iPhone Charger
Similar to a cabled solar charger, you just plug it in and charge. While it won’t charge every device known to man, it will charge any iPhone and some iPods (full list in description). The best part about this portable iPhone charger is the things crazy small size. It’s only 1 centimeter thick and weighs in at 2.2 ounces. Let’s get to the quick stats:
- Docking connector tucks inside the charger
- 1200 mAh internal battery
- Charger dimensions: 3.8 inches by 2.8 inches by .4 inch
- Price: $19.99
Check it out
3. iPhone battery case
Talk about a practical use of space. Just throw the case on (case plugs into docking outlet) and your ready to charge. The Slim Line will chages via usb, and only fits the iPhone 3g or 3gs. There are also battery charging cases out there for the iPhone 4. Check out this iPhone 4 battery case that has a 1200 mAh battery, build in iPhone stand and a 4.3 of 5 review. Battery charging cases are one instance where going with the non-solar version could prove to be a better choice. Personally my iPhones have seen a lot of HARD use so something about always having a solar panel on the device (or going without a case/bringing a backpack case) is a major drawback for me. But back to the Slim Line. Here are the quick stats:
- 1300 mAh internal battery
- Total weight just under 2 ounces (55 grams)
- All the obvious benefits of an iPhone case
- Price: AccessoryGeeks has it for $34.99 with free shipping and Buy.com has it for $24.95. Shipping for me (US) was only $3.
If you like on phone chargers you can also check out this little one that rests on the bottom of your iPhone.
4. Solar Powered Backpack Charger
I absolutely love solar powered backpacks. The hardest thing for some is the look, for others it’s the price tag- $200-$300. If you compare this to any other iPhone charger that’s plain nuts. But keep in mind you are also getting a quality backpack, not to mention a portable iPhone charger on steroids. The part of the backpack that is away from your back is the perfect place to put a solar panel, not to mention the solar panel will be larger than any truly portable solar charger. All that storage space inside the backpack is the perfect place for a larger battery too. The Voltaic OffGrid’s internal battery is about double the size of most portable chargers, either it be solar or non-solar.
If you always carry a backpack this could be a real life saver. Before I ramble on anymore let’s get to the Voltaic OffGrid’s quick stats:
- Padded storage sleeve can hold up to 17” laptop
- 1 hour solar charger can equal up to 3 hours of talk time
- 3,000 mAh internal battery
- High density padding on the back and shoulder straps
- Price: $229 with free shipping if that helps : )
Read more about the OffGrid’s other awesome features.
There you have it, 4 awesome and unique portable iPhone chargers. Even though one turned out to be a solar charger, it most certainly isn’t your run of the mill iPhone solar charger. Thanks for reading!
Not Done Yet- More Portable iPhone Chargers
These recommendations are not as in depth and have come because how popular this post has become (thanks for the emails!). So if you like this post comment or email be and I’ll be sure to keep updating and adding! Check out the links below for additional details on each charger mentioned. Here are 5 more portable iPhone chargers (some solar some not):
1. P-Flip Solar Charger- Solar charger I currently use and have tested with every iPhone.
2. Sun-Plugged Max Solar Backpack- Another solar backpack I like with great reviews.
4. Pico Solar Charger- Cabled solar charger which can charge a variety of devices.
5. Miccus ChargeBlock- Compact size and battery for emergency/light charging with 11 reviews.